I just got back from a whirlwind trip to beautiful DC for my birthday weekend and to visit some very good friends. It was such a short trip but, since I’ve been to DC before and didn’t need to see all of the sites, it was just the right amount of time to see my pals and discover some really awesome local hangouts. We also saw some animals, strolled around the neighborhoods, and thoroughly enjoyed each others’ company. Like my fall DC post and blogiversary post, I’ve decided to compile my Instagram photos from the weekend into one set. Enjoy!
1. The journey begins! A drive up the 101. 2. A busy night at the Santa Barbara airport. 3. A small prop plane takes us from Santa Barbara to LAX. 4. Night, night at LAX.
1. Good morning! Sunrise over Illinois. 2. ORD > Reagan National. 3. Puffy clouds over Virginia’s farmlands. 4. I made it! Let’s take the metro!
1. John A. Logan statue in Logan Circle. 2. The view from my friends’ apartment. 3. Lunch at Stoney’s. 4. Meridian Hill Park.
1. A sunbather at Meridian Hill Park. Gotta get a tan somehow! 2. Colorful brownstones in Adams Morgan. 3. A pre-birthday cheese plate. 4. A pack of wild otters! Ok, they weren’t wild.
1. Przewalski’s Horse. They’re extinct in the wild. : ( 2. The Small Mammal House. Lots of monkeys! 3. Including this adorable baby monkey. 4. Meerkat poses for the onlookers.
1. Owls in the Mammal House. 2. An elephant roams the Elephant Barn. 3. A feisty lioness plays with a giant ball. 4. Beer after a full day at the zoo. No more kids, please.
1. My split birthday celebration! 2. Next day fried chicken and waffles breakfast. Definitely needed. 3. Cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcake. The lavender Earl Grey cupcake was amazing! I’m planning to recreate the recipe this weekend. 4. Rachel and Sloan’s cat, Levi, is a good sport.
My trip comes to an end. You can spy the very top of the Capitol building from my seat on the airplane.